New Year, New Gear, New Buke and Gase - January 29, 2013
Holidays = done. Ready to kickstart the year with renewed resolve? (And not interested in doing a Kickstarter campaign?) Well, here's an idea: how about some awesome new music from Buke & Gase? The duo's new album, "General Dome" came out in North American today, January 29th (Europe & ROW gets it February 22nd). Get some now:
BUY LPs or CDs
BUY FROM AMAZON / iTUNES / ETC.
BUY FROM INSOUND
BUY FROM BANDCAMP
Note that digital downloads from Bandcamp will not be delivered until the February 22nd date!
Enough with the commerce! What is this album all about?
Inspired (in part) by a recent Sol Lewitt exhibition at the Dia Beacon museum in Beacon, NY -- in part by a move to a new recording and rehearsal studio in Hudson, NY -- and in part by Arone's new fervor for motorcycle riding (she claims it lent the album a vigorous intensity) -- the album has many many parts, and is diverse, progressive and radically awesome in ways that defy description, though a common theme is a running commentary on imagery, communication, and change. Speaking of which, here is the dizzying video for "Hiccup":
Anyhoo, the album release will be followed by tour of the US, Canada, Australia and Europe which you can attend if you show up to the following coordinates very soon:
- Wed. Jan 30 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom (RECORD RELEASE SHOW)
- Thu. Jan 31 - Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
- Fri. Feb. 1 - Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda's
- Sat. Feb. 2 - Washington, DC @ DC 9
- Mon. Feb. 4 - Montreal, QC @ Il Motore
- Tue. Feb. 5 - Toronto, ON @ The Drake
- Wed. Feb. 6 - Detroit, MI @ Pike Room
- Thu. Feb. 7 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Tavern
- Fri. Feb. 8 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
- Sat. Feb. 9 - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- Mon. Feb. 11 - Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge
- Tue. Feb. 12 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Kilby Court
- Thu. Feb. 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Media Club
- Fri. Feb. 15 - Seattle, WA @ Barboza
- Sat. Feb. 16 - Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
- Mon. Feb. 18 - San Francisco, CA @ Café Du Nord
- Tue. Feb. 19 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
- Wed. Feb. 20 - San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
- Thu. Feb. 28 - Sydney, Australia @ Vanguard
- Fri. Mar. 1 - Perth, Australia @ Perth International Arts Festival (w/ Tallest Man on Earth)
- Sat. Mar. 2 - Melbourne, Australia @ Toff in Town
- Wed. Mar. 6 - Adelaide, Australia @ Adelaide Festival (w/ Jherek Bischoff & Deerhoof)
- Sat. Mar. 9 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Sun. Mar. 10 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Mon. Mar. 11 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Wed Apr 17 - Paris, France @ Espace B (w/ Zs)
- Thur Apr 18 - London, UK @ The Lexington
- Mon Apr 22 - Berlin, Germany @ Kantine am Berghain (w/ Zs)
- Tue Apr 23 - Hamburg, Germany @ Hafenklang (w/ Fang Island)
- Wed Apr 24 - Dresden, Germany @ Beatpol
- Thu Apr 25 - Krems, Austria @ donaufestival
- Fri Apr 26 - Munich, Germany @ Strom
- Sat Apr 27 - Cologne, Germany @ King Georg
And don't worry Europe. They'll be announcing even more shows your zone very soon.
If you need more verbiage before you buy, check out this recent update in Pitchfork, wherein Buke & Gase spoke of their very recent EP, "Function Falls" and revealed some thoughts on contemporary music and their DIY process:
Pitchfork: In being very self-sufficient and DIY, do you see what you do as in any way political or reactionary, or is it something you do in and of yourselves?
Aron Sanchez: It's both. Because I'm sick of bands. I mean, I love all kinds of music, but I'm really tired of seeing four-piece bands or normal guitars and drums and bass. It's like: Let's move on! Let's explore! Let's try to be more unique than that.
Pitchfork: I went to a really depressing talk last week where the two moderators answered a question about whether new kinds of music are possible in the most negative, bleak, unimaginative way.
Arone Dyer: They're jaded! That's ridiculous.
AS: Yeah, there's always going to be new stuff. And it depends on our perception of what we think is music. There are a lot of experimental and avant-garde musics that have been invented throughout the 20th century that are not popular but maybe they could be at some point, depending on our perspective. A lot of the music we hear now would just be noise to people 100 or 200 years ago. And maybe that could be the case in another 100 years.
This Is The Kit get Album of the Year, José González tour & new EP - December 04, 2015
We try not to let our site get too dominated by a single artist, but what a run This Is The Kit have had in 2015, hogging attention in a way quite counter to their considerate nature. We're pleased to confirm the details of their new Rusty and Got Dusty EP, a new support slot opening for José González across continental Europe in December and, last but not least, the selection of their Bashed Out LP as one of BBC Radio 6 Music's Albums of the Year. We'll lead with that last bit since there's not much ....continue....
[ More about This is the Kit ]Tweet
Holidays with Brassland, Mx. Bond and Misters Bischoff & Lerche - November 27, 2015
If you spend any length of time in New York City, you'll be familiar with double happiness. Most urbanites learn the phrase from seeing it on a seemingly random assortment of Chinatown store awnings: bars, travel agencies, 99˘ shops, low-cost bodywork outlets, et. al. Traditionally associated as a good tiding in Chinese wedding ceremonies, there is even a character for the concept 囍 which is actually a doubling of a single character 喜 which, in turn, means joy. Which is our (typically) roundabout way of saying: we wonder if we can make 🎄🎄 a thing? Which is our still-more roundabout way of saying ....continue....Tweet
The Gloaming visit America; Buke and Gase tour UK/USA with Battles - September 30, 2015
It's rare that our artists have not one but two major tours happening in the United States simultaneously. So, contrary to our usual practice of filling these news updates with random yuks, jokes & asides, we'll get right to the point. (But yes, technically the image we've used with this news story counts as a joke.) Here is where you Americans can catch The Gloaming. OCTOBER - 02 Los Angeles, CA: Bovard Auditorium, USC - 05 Seattle, WA: Benaroya Hall - 07 AnnArbor, MI: UMS at Michigan Theatre - 09 Minneapolis, MN: Walker Art Center - 10 Chicago, IL: Old Town School of ....continue....Tweet
This Is The Kit collect praise, BBC support & tour dates - August 11, 2015
This year's been a doozy for This Is The Kit (aka Kate Stables and whoever joins her aka TITK for short). We released their new, Aaron Dessner-produced album Bashed Out in April. (Vinyl came along a few months later and, hey now, links to get it in any format are here if you are so inclined.) Reactions have been universally positive, with some daring to call it one of the best British albums of 2015. (That "some" includes "us" of course.) We'll get into more details about the positive reviews in a moment but ***HEADLINE ....continue....
[ More about This is the Kit ]Tweet