New Year, New Gear, New Buke and Gase - January 29, 2013
Holidays = done. Ready to kickstart the year with renewed resolve? (And not interested in doing a Kickstarter campaign?) Well, here's an idea: how about some awesome new music from Buke & Gase? The duo's new album, "General Dome" came out in North American today, January 29th (Europe & ROW gets it February 22nd). Get some now:
BUY LPs or CDs
BUY FROM AMAZON / iTUNES / ETC.
BUY FROM INSOUND
BUY FROM BANDCAMP
Note that digital downloads from Bandcamp will not be delivered until the February 22nd date!
Enough with the commerce! What is this album all about?
Inspired (in part) by a recent Sol Lewitt exhibition at the Dia Beacon museum in Beacon, NY -- in part by a move to a new recording and rehearsal studio in Hudson, NY -- and in part by Arone's new fervor for motorcycle riding (she claims it lent the album a vigorous intensity) -- the album has many many parts, and is diverse, progressive and radically awesome in ways that defy description, though a common theme is a running commentary on imagery, communication, and change. Speaking of which, here is the dizzying video for "Hiccup":
Anyhoo, the album release will be followed by tour of the US, Canada, Australia and Europe which you can attend if you show up to the following coordinates very soon:
- Wed. Jan 30 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom (RECORD RELEASE SHOW)
- Thu. Jan 31 - Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
- Fri. Feb. 1 - Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda's
- Sat. Feb. 2 - Washington, DC @ DC 9
- Mon. Feb. 4 - Montreal, QC @ Il Motore
- Tue. Feb. 5 - Toronto, ON @ The Drake
- Wed. Feb. 6 - Detroit, MI @ Pike Room
- Thu. Feb. 7 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Tavern
- Fri. Feb. 8 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
- Sat. Feb. 9 - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- Mon. Feb. 11 - Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge
- Tue. Feb. 12 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Kilby Court
- Thu. Feb. 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Media Club
- Fri. Feb. 15 - Seattle, WA @ Barboza
- Sat. Feb. 16 - Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
- Mon. Feb. 18 - San Francisco, CA @ Café Du Nord
- Tue. Feb. 19 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
- Wed. Feb. 20 - San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
- Thu. Feb. 28 - Sydney, Australia @ Vanguard
- Fri. Mar. 1 - Perth, Australia @ Perth International Arts Festival (w/ Tallest Man on Earth)
- Sat. Mar. 2 - Melbourne, Australia @ Toff in Town
- Wed. Mar. 6 - Adelaide, Australia @ Adelaide Festival (w/ Jherek Bischoff & Deerhoof)
- Sat. Mar. 9 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Sun. Mar. 10 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Mon. Mar. 11 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Wed Apr 17 - Paris, France @ Espace B (w/ Zs)
- Thur Apr 18 - London, UK @ The Lexington
- Mon Apr 22 - Berlin, Germany @ Kantine am Berghain (w/ Zs)
- Tue Apr 23 - Hamburg, Germany @ Hafenklang (w/ Fang Island)
- Wed Apr 24 - Dresden, Germany @ Beatpol
- Thu Apr 25 - Krems, Austria @ donaufestival
- Fri Apr 26 - Munich, Germany @ Strom
- Sat Apr 27 - Cologne, Germany @ King Georg
And don't worry Europe. They'll be announcing even more shows your zone very soon.
If you need more verbiage before you buy, check out this recent update in Pitchfork, wherein Buke & Gase spoke of their very recent EP, "Function Falls" and revealed some thoughts on contemporary music and their DIY process:
Pitchfork: In being very self-sufficient and DIY, do you see what you do as in any way political or reactionary, or is it something you do in and of yourselves?
Aron Sanchez: It's both. Because I'm sick of bands. I mean, I love all kinds of music, but I'm really tired of seeing four-piece bands or normal guitars and drums and bass. It's like: Let's move on! Let's explore! Let's try to be more unique than that.
Pitchfork: I went to a really depressing talk last week where the two moderators answered a question about whether new kinds of music are possible in the most negative, bleak, unimaginative way.
Arone Dyer: They're jaded! That's ridiculous.
AS: Yeah, there's always going to be new stuff. And it depends on our perception of what we think is music. There are a lot of experimental and avant-garde musics that have been invented throughout the 20th century that are not popular but maybe they could be at some point, depending on our perspective. A lot of the music we hear now would just be noise to people 100 or 200 years ago. And maybe that could be the case in another 100 years.
Jherek Bischoff launches Kickstarter, tours OZ with Missy Higgins - September 23, 2014
It's been over a year since we've brought you any Jherek Bischoff news. Which is not to say there hasn't been any. This versatile composer/producer/sideman/arranger is just so prolific he's hard to keep up with. We couldn't report on everything unless we turned www.brassland.org into a 24-7 Jherek Bischoff news service. (Come to think of it, for something like that experience you should check out his Twitter feed, or ours.) Anyhoo, there are two pieces of particularly BIG NEWS to announce at the moment, so let us break the drought: (1) ....continue....
[ More about Jherek Bischoff ]Tweet
Buke and Gase offer new song, USA + Dublin tour date(s) - August 29, 2014
Let's get the most fun part out of the way first: Buke and Gase have just posted their new song "Seam Esteem" to Bandcamp for free download. Grab it: "Seam Esteem" (Free download) by Buke and Gase "Seam Esteem" premiered on All Songs Considered. You can also stream it on their Soundcloud. I know what you're thinking: These announcements came out of the blue. What gives? Well, hopefully you're already one of the lucky internet browsers who caught wind of the their Soundcloud postings from March to June of this year, ....continue....
[ More about Buke and Gase ]Tweet
Brassland @ National Concert Hall in Ireland this December - August 20, 2014
Dia dhaoibh! We have some news for you and it's completely craic for anyone in the general vicinity of Éire. If you haven't given up on this post already due to confusion, or offense at our half-assed use of Celtic greetings & Irish slang, please read on: Brassland has plotted an event at the National Concert Hall of Ireland (NCH) this December. It's going to be awesome. The location is Dublin; the dates are December 13 and December 14. On Saturday we'll present a marathon of individually ticketed shows. It kicks off at 3pm with three intimate gigs in ....continue....
[ More about Projects ]Tweet
Call For Interns - June 16, 2014
Brassland is always looking for qualified interns with a strong interest in the music industry. Our interns gain first hand experience in the label side of things with the possibility of experience in publishing and management. All positions are unpaid. REQUIREMENTS Must live in the greater New York area for the duration of internship. Must be available for at least two full days a week Must be in at least junior year of college APPLICATION DEADLINES Submit resume AND cover letter to glenn AT brassland DOT org with the subject line: “I WANT TO BE AN INTERN OR HELPER PERSON! (______ ....continue....Tweet