New Year, New Gear, New Buke and Gase - January 29, 2013
Holidays = done. Ready to kickstart the year with renewed resolve? (And not interested in doing a Kickstarter campaign?) Well, here's an idea: how about some awesome new music from Buke & Gase? The duo's new album, "General Dome" came out in North American today, January 29th (Europe & ROW gets it February 22nd). Get some now:
BUY LPs or CDs
BUY FROM AMAZON / iTUNES / ETC.
BUY FROM INSOUND
BUY FROM BANDCAMP
Note that digital downloads from Bandcamp will not be delivered until the February 22nd date!
Enough with the commerce! What is this album all about?
Inspired (in part) by a recent Sol Lewitt exhibition at the Dia Beacon museum in Beacon, NY -- in part by a move to a new recording and rehearsal studio in Hudson, NY -- and in part by Arone's new fervor for motorcycle riding (she claims it lent the album a vigorous intensity) -- the album has many many parts, and is diverse, progressive and radically awesome in ways that defy description, though a common theme is a running commentary on imagery, communication, and change. Speaking of which, here is the dizzying video for "Hiccup":
Anyhoo, the album release will be followed by tour of the US, Canada, Australia and Europe which you can attend if you show up to the following coordinates very soon:
- Wed. Jan 30 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom (RECORD RELEASE SHOW)
- Thu. Jan 31 - Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
- Fri. Feb. 1 - Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda's
- Sat. Feb. 2 - Washington, DC @ DC 9
- Mon. Feb. 4 - Montreal, QC @ Il Motore
- Tue. Feb. 5 - Toronto, ON @ The Drake
- Wed. Feb. 6 - Detroit, MI @ Pike Room
- Thu. Feb. 7 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Tavern
- Fri. Feb. 8 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
- Sat. Feb. 9 - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- Mon. Feb. 11 - Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge
- Tue. Feb. 12 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Kilby Court
- Thu. Feb. 14 - Vancouver, BC @ Media Club
- Fri. Feb. 15 - Seattle, WA @ Barboza
- Sat. Feb. 16 - Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
- Mon. Feb. 18 - San Francisco, CA @ Café Du Nord
- Tue. Feb. 19 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
- Wed. Feb. 20 - San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
- Thu. Feb. 28 - Sydney, Australia @ Vanguard
- Fri. Mar. 1 - Perth, Australia @ Perth International Arts Festival (w/ Tallest Man on Earth)
- Sat. Mar. 2 - Melbourne, Australia @ Toff in Town
- Wed. Mar. 6 - Adelaide, Australia @ Adelaide Festival (w/ Jherek Bischoff & Deerhoof)
- Sat. Mar. 9 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Sun. Mar. 10 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Mon. Mar. 11 - Port Fairy, Australia - Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Wed Apr 17 - Paris, France @ Espace B (w/ Zs)
- Thur Apr 18 - London, UK @ The Lexington
- Mon Apr 22 - Berlin, Germany @ Kantine am Berghain (w/ Zs)
- Tue Apr 23 - Hamburg, Germany @ Hafenklang (w/ Fang Island)
- Wed Apr 24 - Dresden, Germany @ Beatpol
- Thu Apr 25 - Krems, Austria @ donaufestival
- Fri Apr 26 - Munich, Germany @ Strom
- Sat Apr 27 - Cologne, Germany @ King Georg
And don't worry Europe. They'll be announcing even more shows your zone very soon.
If you need more verbiage before you buy, check out this recent update in Pitchfork, wherein Buke & Gase spoke of their very recent EP, "Function Falls" and revealed some thoughts on contemporary music and their DIY process:
Pitchfork: In being very self-sufficient and DIY, do you see what you do as in any way political or reactionary, or is it something you do in and of yourselves?
Aron Sanchez: It's both. Because I'm sick of bands. I mean, I love all kinds of music, but I'm really tired of seeing four-piece bands or normal guitars and drums and bass. It's like: Let's move on! Let's explore! Let's try to be more unique than that.
Pitchfork: I went to a really depressing talk last week where the two moderators answered a question about whether new kinds of music are possible in the most negative, bleak, unimaginative way.
Arone Dyer: They're jaded! That's ridiculous.
AS: Yeah, there's always going to be new stuff. And it depends on our perception of what we think is music. There are a lot of experimental and avant-garde musics that have been invented throughout the 20th century that are not popular but maybe they could be at some point, depending on our perspective. A lot of the music we hear now would just be noise to people 100 or 200 years ago. And maybe that could be the case in another 100 years.
Brassland takes Éire, The Gloaming snare year-end honors - December 09, 2014
Brassland has landed in Ireland! No awkward puns or repetitive use of verbs intended! For a thorough round up of what's going on, take a listen to this hourlong podcast prepared by Dublin's National Concert Hall. It also serves as a great capsule history of the label. Alternatively, if you try to observe the "pod-" in podcasting, you may download part one and part two from Soundcloud (or, if you're a real traditionalist, via iTunes). They were produced by the most-excellent Ben Eshmade in honor of NCH's just-as-excellent Perspectives series which launched this year ....continue....
[ More about Projects ]Tweet
The Gloaming tour the west coast, the world & Ireland; meet Sting - November 10, 2014
Cool thing alert: immediately after we released The Gloaming's self-titled debut, it began popping up on "top 10 records of 2014...so far" lists: Mojo said it all the way back in March. The Irish Times newspaper placed it at #1 in June. (Hip Irish blog Nialler9 has it at #6 because, well, blogs.) And just this week Mashable placed it at #2 in their "visually stunning album covers of 2014" list. And now that we've gotten the cool/cool stuff out of the way, let’s get to the weird/cool stuff: Why yes, that is The Gloaming’s ....continue....
[ More about The Gloaming ]Tweet
Jherek Bischoff launches Kickstarter, tours OZ with Missy Higgins - September 23, 2014
UPDATE NOVEMBER 4, 2014: The Kickstarter surpassed its goal by 50% reaching over $23,000, and triggering the release of an exclusive digital EP just for backers! Yay Jherek! Yay backers! It's been over a year since we've brought you any Jherek Bischoff news. Which is not to say there hasn't been any. This versatile composer/producer/sideman/arranger is just so prolific he's hard to keep up with. We couldn't report on everything unless we turned www.brassland.org into a 24-7 Jherek Bischoff news service. (Come to think of it, for something like that experience you should check ....continue....
[ More about Jherek Bischoff ]Tweet
Buke and Gase offer new song, USA, Irish & UK tour date(s) - August 29, 2014
Let's get the most fun part out of the way first: Buke and Gase have just posted their new song "Seam Esteem" to Bandcamp for free download. Grab it: "Seam Esteem" (Free download) by Buke and Gase "Seam Esteem" premiered on All Songs Considered. You can also stream it on their Soundcloud. I know what you're thinking: These announcements came out of the blue. What gives? Well, hopefully you're already one of the lucky internet browsers who caught wind of the their Soundcloud postings from March to June of this year, ....continue....
[ More about Buke and Gase ]Tweet